Worm gearboxes SERIES I-MI
Worm gearboxes is the category of gearboxes on which the power transmission is accomplished through a particular gear pair, consisting in a worm and a worm wheel. One of the main parameters is the center-to-center distance. This is the parameter giving the name to each gearbox size: for instance, MI 50 means a unit with a center-to-center distance of 50 mm, MI 110 has 110 mm and so forth.
Strong points of worm gearboxes:
-allow a very wide range of possible ratios for each size with a single reduction stage. No other gearbox type allows this. The reason why so many ratios can be obained on a single size, thus on the same housing, depends on the several parameters: number of teeth of worm wheel, number of ends of worm, helix angle, module.
-allow high and low speeds within a wide range of variations.
I-MI series is the widest range, covering sizes ranging from center-to-center distance 25 up to 175. The casing is in alluminium up to size 90 and in cast iron upwards.
I-MI series can be accomplished in several versions:
As far as the inlet side is concerned, they can be:
- PAM, i.e with hollow input shaft and a motor connection flange (FAM)
- with solid input shaft, for connection with an inlet transmission.
As far as the oulet side is concerned, they can be:
- in foot-mounting version (for floor fitting, in a horizontal, vertical or perpendicular position)
- in flange version (for connection with another flange, located on the user)
- with single/double solid output shaft , double extended shaft
Output flanges can be:
- monoblock – they are directly connected to the gearbox housing;
- atached: they are fixed to the flat flange
In all cases, in which output flange is attached, gearbox is in the version called “FP”. On version FP, it is even possible to fit torque arm intended for a shaft-mounting usage.
Worm gearboxes can be used in different industrial domains such as: food industry, belt conveyors and conveyors in general, mixers, agitators, dosing machines, bread machines, packaging machines, printing machines, industrial automation equipments, wood processing machines.